Traffic Safety

Traffic Counts, Pavement Markings, Signals, Signs, Streetlights, and Utility Locates

“Striving for everyone's safety while traveling in and through the City of Clive”

What would you like to learn?


All the paint on the street? We are in charge of that. Our practices uphold Federal Highway MUTCD safety standards such as color, length, marking, and retroreflectivity.


The Public Works Department maintains 23 signalized intersections within the corporate limits with exception of those located on University Avenue. Contact Clive Public Works at (515) 223-6231 with traffic signal concerns, or to report any devices that are damaged from traffic accidents, vandalism, or theft.

Traffic signals on University Avenue are the responsibility of the City of West Des Moines. Contact West Des Moines Public Services at (515) 222-3480 with traffic signal concerns.


Our Traffic Department has organized the City in such a way to replace street signs every ten years. This practice helps travelers find their way with quality retroreflectivity and color.


The majority of streetlights in Clive are managed by MidAmerican Energy; they will let you know if the streetlight is not theirs.


City traffic maps are updated every four years by the Iowa D.O.T. To view the 2016 map, click this link. To view the 2012 map, click this link.


Iowa law states that you must call Iowa One Call at least 48 hours (does not include weekends and holidays) in advance of any excavation work. This minimizes the risk of damaging underground facilities. To file a locate request, call 811 (out of state callers should call 800-292-8989). For more information, visit their website: Iowa One Call