Rental Housing Program

Are you experiencing legal issues to the the COVID-19 pandemic? Iowa Legal Aid can help - please call 1-800-332-0419.

If you are at risk of being evicted from your home for reasons other the COVID-19, please call 1-800-532-1275.


The Rental Housing Program certifies rental units and ensures regular inspection are conducted at a minimum of once every six years. Additionally, inspections will be performed if a landlord does not take appropriate action upon a tenant's complaint. The 2018 International Code Council Property Maintenance Code has been adopted as the basis for the Rental Housing Code. City code requires that every rental unit be registered in the current owner's name. As such, buyers and sellers of rental property must notify the Community Development Department within 2 days of closing or executing a contract for sale to obtain a new rental certificate or to remove the unit from the registry. Please note that rental certificates are not transferable. 

I have a leak in my roof and my landlord refuses to repair it. How can I get him to fix it?

What happens when I submit the complaint form to the Community Development Department?

What if the owner evicts me because I complained?

Why do I have to have my rental unit inspected?

How much does a rental certificate cost?

When will my property be inspected?

How many people can live in my rental unit?

Frequently Asked Questions