Building Responsibly In A Special Flood Hazard Area

The Community Development Department and the Engineering Services Division are charged with the maintenance and enforcement of the Clive's Floodplain Control Ordinance. Participation in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) requires that the City have an ordinance that regulates development in the 1% annual chance floodplain, also commonly called the 100 year floodplain.  Without these requirements, federally-backed flood insurance through the NFIP would not be available to residents and property owners. For more information on NFIP visit Flood Insurance.

The Community Development Department reviews all projects within the Special Flood Hazard Area to ensure the proposal complies with all local, state, and federal regulations. 
Any development in the floodplain without a permit is illegal. If you believe construction activity or dumping is taking place within the floodplain or drainage ways without permits or inspections, please contact Community Development at (515) 223-6221. Ensuring these critical stormwater conveyance paths are unobstructed prior to a flooding event is critically important. 

New Construction & Improvements
In addition to other required permits and approvals, a Floodplain Development Application is required for all work in the floodplain. The City of Clive requires all new structures be built at least 1 foot above the 1% annual chance flood elevation. Elevation certificates are required to be submitted by a State of Iowa licensed land surveyor for all new and substantially improved structures located with the floodplain.  Once submitted, the Community Development department keeps a copy of the certificate on file with the property records. Additionally, an elevation certificate may also be required for the issuance of new flood insurance policies through NFIP. Click here to see the list of elevation certificates on file with the Community Development Department. If you need an elevation certificate and the City does not have one on file, you will need to contact a licensed surveyor to prepare one for your property.  

Protecting Existing Development
Any number of measures can be taken to help protect a property against flood damage. Retrofitting, regrading around a structure to create positive drainage away from the structure, correcting local drainage problems, and emergency measures such as moving furniture and installing sandbags are just a few options. Retrofitting measures can include major projects such as elevating the whole structure, filling in basements located below the base flood elevation, or adding floodwalls and levies.  Less costly measures can also be taken such as elevating electrical panel boxes, water heaters, and furnaces, and moving washers, dryers, and other appliances to areas less likely to flood.

Community Development Department staff are available to visit your property to review flooding issues, drainage and stormwater problems, and provide suggestions to property owners pertaining to development, renovation, and flood protection measures. If you want to construct a fence, build a deck, move a furnace, or install flood proofing measures, our staff can provide insight on your unique situation and walk you through the Floodplain Development Application. Even if your project doesn't require a permit, the Floodplain Development Application may be required. For information on avoiding and repairing flooded basements and evaluating flood-damaged electrical work, visit Construction Services Corner.