The Clive Public Library has staff commissioned by the Iowa Secretary of State to serve as notaries to the public in accordance with the Iowa Code Chapter 9B
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/publications/search/document?fq=id:974851&pdid=973683&q=notary+public#9B.28 and rules in 721 –Chapter 43
- Call before your visit to ensure a notary is available.
- Bring a photo ID that includes a signature.
- Complete all documents EXCEPT for the signature and date fields. You MUST sign the document in front of the notary.
- Bring your own witnesses (who are not related to you), if the document requires witnesses in addition to the notary.
- All document signers must personally appear before the notary with current and valid government-issued photo identification.
- Notary staff must be allowed to make an entry of the notary act in the library’s notary journal.
- The person who will sign the document must be sure that the document is completely filled out-leaving no blanks other than where the customer will sign the document-before appearing before the library notary.
- Notaries cannot pre-date or post-date any action, prepare a legal document, give advice on legal matters, or Notarize documents in which they have a personal interest.
- The information must be clearly written. The library notary and the customer requesting notary service must be able to clearly communicate directly with each other. Notaries are not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate from the customer requesting notary services.
- Certain public documents cannot be copies and/or notarized such as Birth certificated, Adoption records and/or Marriage licenses.
- Notaries will not provide service if the customer, the document or any circumstances of the request for Notary service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the library.
- Should a problem appear/occur, the library notary may at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide notary service.