City Manager's Office
- The implementation and enforcement of the resolutions, ordinances, laws, policies, and directives approved by the City Council.
- Supervision over the City organization and providing recommendations to the City Council for the efficient operation of the City government.
- Serve as a liaison for the City to other governmental jurisdictions, including school districts, surrounding municipalities and the State of Iowa.
- Appoint, employ and administer discipline for all officers and employees of the City, except those appointed only by the City Council or Civil Service Commission.
- Prepare an annual operating and capital improvements program for the City.
- Conduct all business affairs of the City and maintain the strong financial condition of the City.
Matt McQuillen serves as Clive’s City Manager. Matt previously served as Clive’s Assistant City Manager from March 2011 until he moved into the City Manager role in January 2018. Matt is responsible for the management of City operations, City’s economic development program, development of the Capital Improvement Program and Operating Budget and assists with various intergovernmental relationships the City has with entities such as the Des Moines Area Metropolitan Planning Organization, Bravo of Greater Des Moines and Des Moines Convention and Visitors Bureau. Matt also serves as the Management Committee Chair of the Westcom Dispatch Center, providing services to the Cities of West Des Moines, Urbandale, Clive, Waukee, and Norwalk. Mr. McQuillen has a Bachelor of Arts (BA) Degree in Political Science and a Masters of Arts (MA) Degree in Public Administration from Iowa State University. He has worked previously for the Iowa League of Cities, Iowa Department of Revenue and the City of Ankeny, Iowa before coming to Clive as Assistant City Manager in March 2011.. Mr. McQuillen’s management philosophy defines how he runs the City of Clive organization to ensure the highest level of services to Clive residents and businesses. The major tenets of his philosophy are:
Public TRUST is the currency for everything we do and facilitates the democratic process.
Community leadership requires PARTNERSHIPS.
DATA-DRIVEN decision making is the keystone to sustainability.
INNOVATION and CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT are part of the culture, not an afterthought.
A PEOPLE-CENTERED approach pays dividends in the organization and the community.
Pete De Kock joined the City of Clive team as Assistant City Manager in April 2018. He collaborates with colleagues, elected officials, business leaders, and citizens to promote community engagement and craft inspiring stories about our city. He also partners with the City Manager on management and economic development projects. Pete is a graduate of Grinnell College and Harvard University, where he studied political and social ethics. After completing his degrees, Pete became increasingly committed to community building and public service. He transitioned to the political sphere, spending several years working for the U.S. House of Representatives. Prior to joining the City of Clive, he led civil society and arts nonprofits in Chicago and Des Moines. Pete loves cycling, fishing, rock and roll and barbecue, but his true love is family. He and his wife Jen have two young sons.