To report an illicit discharge call the Iowa DNR at 515-725-8694 and local authorities at 515-222-3321 (24/7/365). Online reporting can be submitted here: click for ISWEP
In 2003, the City of Clive became a small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) under the State of Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) general permit regulations. This state regulation requires the City of Clive to establish its own Storm Water Pollution Prevention and Management Program This permit is issued pursuant to the authority of section 402(b) of the Clean Water Act (33 U.S. C. 1342(b), Iowa Code section 455B.174 and rule 567—64.13, Iowa Administrative Code. Under the permit the City is required to comply with a Storm Water Pollution Prevention and Management Plan which outlines areas of responsibility for the City to implement Best Management Practices (BMP’s). Some of those activities are described below:
- Public Education and Outreach - Implement public education and outreach about the impacts of storm water discharges and measures which the residents can implement to reduce pollutants in storm water runoff.
- Public Involvement and Participation - Involve local businesses, developers, homeowners and the general public in the development of the program.
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination - Enforcement of ordinances that prohibits pollutants from entering the City’s storm sewer system.
- Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control - Enforcement of a construction site stormwater runoff control program to reduce pollutants and any stormwater runoff from construction activities.
- Post Construction Stormwater Management - Enforcement of post construction stormwater management program to control and minimize increases in stormwater runoff rates and volumes, soil erosion, stream channel erosion and non-point source pollution associated with stormwater runoff of developing and developed lands within the City.
- Pollution Prevention and Good Housekeeping - Implement operation and maintenance programs that shall prevent or reduce pollutant runoff from municipal operations.
Storm water Management fees were implemented August 1, 2005 and are billed monthly to all Clive customers. Storm water Management fees are reviewed by the City Council annually for any adjustments needed to fund the City's storm water operations and capital projects.
Anyone seeking information on storm water, please contact either:
515-223-6321 x 5128
515-223-6221 x 5075