Build Responsibly

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Permits are required for any development in the City of Clive. Our building codes and ordinances regulate construction within Special Flood Hazard Areas. Without these codes and ordinances, federally-backed flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) would not be available. Any development in the floodplain without a permit is illegal and should be reported to the Community Development Department at (515) 223-6221. If you are considering a fence, building a deck, moving a furnace, or installing flood proofing measures, our staff can provide insight on your unique situation and walk you through the Flood Plain Development Application.

Participation in the NFIP requires that the City have Floodplain Management ordinances that regulate development  in the 1% annual chance (100-year) floodplain.  The City of Clive requires all new structures be built at least 1 foot above the 1% annual chance flood elevation (100 year flood).  Please click here to be directed to the City's Floodplain Development zoning ordinance.

Community Development Department staff are available to visit your property to review flooding issues, drainage and stormwater problems, and provide one-on-one suggestions to property owners pertaining to development, renovation, and flood protection measures.

If you believe that construction activity with the floodplain or a drainage way is occurring without permits or inspections, please contact Community Development at (515) 223-6221. 

For information on avoiding and repairing flooded basements and evaluating flood-damaged electrical work, please click here for the Construction Services Division's Construction Services Corner.

Elevation certificates are necessary for flood insurance obtained through the NFIP and for building projects within the flood plain. The City has some elevation certificates in our document repository, however we do not prepare those documents; we receive them as part of the process and store them with other property records. In order to have a new elevation certificate prepared, please contact an Iowa State licensed land surveyor.  You're welcome to contact our office at (515) 223-6221 to check the availability of this document in our records.


View Full Site