Household Hazardous Waste

Two Ways to Get Rid of
Household Hazardous WasteCity Clerks-10

1. Leave it Outside Your Door

The City of Clive and Metro Waste Authority offer house-side collection the second Friday of every month for items such as lead and oil-based paints (not latex), chemicals (insecticides, poisons and solvents), lawn care products, compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs), sharps and cleaners.  

Sign Up –$25 Per Collection
Residents can sign up on an as-needed basis at Clive City Hall, 1900 NW 114th St. For $25 fee per use, residents receive: 

  • Up to two 12-gallon bins (if two bins are taken, they both must be set out)
  • Handling instructions
  • List of accepted and not accepted items

Schedule Collection with Metro Waste Authority
Once you fill your bins, call Metro Waste Authority at (515) 333-4434 to schedule collection. Bins are collected the second Friday of each month. The collected material is taken to the Metro Hazardous Waste Drop-Off in Bondurant where it is recycled or safely disposed of.  

For more information, call (515) 244-0021 or visit at



2. Attend a Drop-Off EventCity Clerks-11

Clive and other communities partner with Metro Waste Authority to offer drop-off events from 8 a.m. to Noon on these dates. All metro residents can attend these events. 

2015 Drop-Off Schedule

        To be announced

These events are only for residents. For a list of what is accepted, visit and click on the Calendar for details.

View Full Site