Two Ways to Get Rid of
Household Hazardous Waste
1. Leave it Outside Your Door
The City of Clive and Metro Waste Authority offer house-side collection the second Friday of every month for items such as lead and oil-based paints (not latex), chemicals (insecticides, poisons and solvents), lawn care products, compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs), sharps and cleaners.
Sign Up –$25 Per Collection
Residents can sign up on an as-needed basis at Clive City Hall, 1900 NW 114th. St. For $25 fee per use, residents receive:
- Up to two 12-gallon bins (if two bins are taken, they both must be set out)
- Handling instructions
- List of accepted and not accepted items
Schedule Collection with Metro Waste Authority
Once you fill your bins, call Metro Waste Authority at (515) 333-4434 to schedule collection. Bins are collected the second Friday of each month. The collected material is taken to the Metro Hazardous Waste Drop-Off in Bondurant where it is recycled or safely disposed of.
For more information, call (515) 244-0021 or visit at www.WhereItShouldGo.com/houseside.
2. Attend a Drop-Off Event
Clive and other communities partner with Metro Waste Authority to offer drop-off events from 8 a.m. to Noon on these dates. All metro residents can attend these events.
2014 Drop-Off Schedule
- March 29, Johnston Public Works, 6400 NW Beaver
- May 10, Waukee Middle School, 905 Warrior Lane
- June 28, West Des Moines Valley Stadium, 4440 Mills Civic Pkwy.
- Oct. 25, Clive Aquatic Center, 1801 NW 114th St
These events are only for residents. For a list of what is accepted, visit www.WhereItShouldGo.com and click on the Calendar for details.