Two Ways to Get Rid of
Household Hazardous Waste
1. Leave it Outside Your Door
The City of Clive and Metro Waste Authority offer house-side collection the second Friday of every month for items such as lead and oil-based paints (not latex), chemicals (insecticides, poisons and solvents), lawn care products, compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs), sharps and cleaners.
Sign Up –$25 Per Collection
Residents can sign up on an as-needed basis at Clive City Hall, 1900 NW 114th. St. For $25 fee per use, residents receive:
- Up to two 12-gallon bins (if two bins are taken, they both must be set out)
- Handling instructions
- List of accepted and not accepted items
Schedule Collection with Metro Waste Authority
Once you fill your bins, call Metro Waste Authority at 515.333.4434 to schedule collection. Bins are collected the second Friday of each month. The collected material is taken to the Metro Hazardous Waste Drop-Off in Bondurant where it is recycled or safely disposed of.
For more information, call 515.244.0021 or visit at www.WhereItShouldGo.com/houseside.
2. Attend a Drop-Off Event
Clive and other communities partner with Metro Waste Authority to offer drop-off events from 8 a.m. to Noon on these dates. All metro residents can attend these events.
2014 Drop-Off Schedule
- March 29, Johnston Public Works, 6400 NW Beaver
- May 10, Waukee Middle School, 905 Warrior Lane
- June 28, West Des Moines Valley Stadium, 4440 Mills Civic Pkwy.
- Oct. 25, Clive Aquatic Center, 1801 NW 114th St
These events are only for residents. For a list of what is accepted, visit www.WhereItShouldGo.com and click on the Calendar for details.