Occasionally, you may have special disposal needs that include items that you aren't sure how to dispose of. Waste Management's expanded collection programs can help you dispose of these items in an environmentally safe and cost-effective manner. Costs for these specialized services varies. Contact Waste Management at (515) 265-5267 for specific costs.
- Super Sized Curbside Pickup - This service is for when you have more trash than your normal pickup allows. It's like your own personal spring clean up. No need to buy tags or stickers, just pre-arrange payment and set out your material.
- Ultimate House Side Pickup - This program is similar to the curbside pick up but you can leave items in place. Waste Management personnel will load the items. This is perfect for a garage or basement clean up where moving large items can be a problem.
- Mega Reycling Pickup - If you have moved recently and have large amounts of cardboard or paper piling up and you want it recycled, Waste Management can help. The Mega Recycling pickup lets you place unlimited amounts of cardboard and paper curbside without breaking them down. Note: no styrofoam, plastic, or non-recyclable items.
- Appliance/White Goods - If you have an appliance such as: a refrigerator, stove, washer, dryer, dehumidifier, microwave, freezer, water heater, furnace, dishwasher or air conditioner, these items are banned from landfills. For a fee Waste Management can pick these items up at your curb and dispose of them properly for you. Midwest Recovery will accept appliances at no cost.
- Extra Large Yard Waste Collection - If you have a large amount of yard waste and don't want to bundle it for normal pickup day, this service is available.
- E-Waste Recycling - Responsible disposal of electronic equipment through recycling is stongly encouraged. Electronics can be disposed of at the Metro Recycling Center, 1817 W. Euclid in Des Moines, Midwest Recovery, 3300 Henry Drive SW in Bondurant, or Waste Management can come to your home and pick them up.
- Medical Waste - A safe way to handle medical waste is to use an OSHA approved container. Waste Management offers a sharps container that provides a total system for the safe disposal of sharps waste. Each system includes a sharps container, postage-prepaid return box, tracking form and destruction at a certified medical waste resource recovery facility.