Public Works Administration
2123 NW 111th St.
Clive, IA 50325-3755
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
7:00 am - 3:30 pm
Flooding can occur after prolonged rainfall over several days causing a river or stream to overflow and flood the surrounding area. Flash flooding can occur after intense rainfall of one inch or more an hour. Flash floods often give very little warning, developing in a few minutes or a few hours. A flash flood watch means flooding or flash flooding is possible in your area. Stay tuned to local television and radio for updates or advice. For the late evening and early morning hours, it is recommended that you purchase a NOAA weather radio, which automatically announces impending dangerous weather situations.
It is important for residents and business owners in flood prone areas to monitor local television and radio for flood updates in order to have time to take protective measures with their property. The city does not notify individual property owners during minor flooding events.
In the event of a flood WATCH – city staff will:
- Monitor Walnut Creek, the weather forecast, and area weather radar.
- If flooding is imminent, city management will be notified.
- Greenbelt Park will be monitored for possible closures.
- Maintain routine police patrols and notify appropriate staff if Walnut Creek is causing a concern of flooding.
A flood or flash flood warning means flooding or flash flooding is now occurring or will occur soon in your area.
In the event of a flood or flash flood WARNING – city staff will:
- Have a staff person available at the Public Works building or emergency operations center to answer phones.
- Barricade streets as needed.
- Distribute & coordinate sand, sandbags, and equipment to a sandbagging site on University Blvd.
- Distribute sand, sandbags, and equipmant to a sandbagging site at Diamond Public Safety Center.
- Distribute sand, sandbags, and equipment to community sandbagging sites at:
Site 1: Lundberg Park, if available, or 78th &University pumping station
Site 2: Maddox Pkwy (south of Casey’s on NW 100th Street)
- Assist with sandbagging operations on University Blvd.
- Monitor North Walnut Creek.